KDA mining solo on a private node

I was on the kadena discord and some folks were talking about running a personal node, mining directly from it, and helping to decentralize the Kadena network.
So, I tried it and make more KDA this way compared to mining in a pool.

Check out the article by Leo Fitz–because it worked

The fundamentals of cryptocurrency haven’t changed, and we can all play a part to take the power back.

4 Likes

I’d love more details. How much more? I have several raspberry pi’s around and I bet I can run a node on one.

1 Like

Thanks for posting. I guess the obvious question is, how much more are you getting compared to, e.g., Poolflare?

I’m sure for someone well versed in computers, the instructions probably read like a cookbook. To the layperson such as yours truly, not so much.

1 Like

I know I’m reading English, but at the same time I have no idea what the author is talking about. :crazy_face:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing, are you running it on local computer or VPS?
I was trying to do it some weeks ago but I never manage to get it work.
I think there was / is quite a lot syntax errors so copy and paste commands from guide is not working 100%, unless it was corrected in meantime
I need to learn docker / linux bit more to actually get to know what i am doing, but in general I am very interested in running it !
@SpragClutch this could be interesting for you as well.

1 Like

Working in Linux can be a little daunting. But it can also be fun. It’s like working in DOS. Everything is command prompt and no graphical user interface (gui) like windows. Linux does have GUI options but this guide is all done at the command prompt. I’ve set up a few Linux boxes over the years just to play with it but I am no expert.

Sudo means run this command as an administrator. Most of the commands are just downloading the code - apt-get & git clone.

CD is a command meaning Change Directory.
Nano is a Linux text editor.

3 Likes

Normally it’s about the same, some days it’s been nearly double and there have been a couple poor days, but the chance of higher days led me on, I started solo node mining on January 10, right after the global pool slow down.

I have an old laptop and spun up a linux Ubuntu 18.04 with a docker container

2 Likes

My tracker tells me that in the last 24 hours I mined about $94.60 worth of KDA, the worst 24-hour cycle I only mined about $14, then I updated my node and it popped back up.
Solo mining is more up and down.
I maintain a handful of servers at work, so setting up a mining node at home was more of the same command-line interface typing.
I guess I kind of like maintaining computers.

1 Like

Have you also tried solo mining with your CK5?

1 Like

Would you consider typing up a how-to guide?

1 Like

I haven’t, and I’m not confident that it’s as simple and straightforward as the KDA node.
I’ve looked into it, and come away with questions that don’t have answers.

I followed this

The same guy wrote up a windows version as well. I used the ubuntu linux version because I trust linux more for stability and throughput AND less bloat tracking my every move to sell me microsoft partner merchandise.

You can use the microsoft version as well, or even deploy the node outside a container, but the docker container was the easiest, so I did that.

3 Likes

I’m running a solo node thru docker on windows as well - so far the average is similar to poolflare for me. Some days under perform and some days over perform. I’ll update after a month.

4 Likes

same, but those overperform days^oo^\

I reckon the decentralization may help in some way, but I can barely explain what crypto currency is.

Don’t forget the 2% pool fees. over a month that could add up.

1 Like

on discord the two kadena heros or ambassadors or whatever they are sold me on ‘expect performance
about the same, without the fees’

and one of them showed numbers that outperformed, on average, over the past month

question how many machines can mine on the node? FYI they are making about 14 cents every day off 1 kdbox. Or a dollar a day off a KD2, and so on…

1 Like

I had both my K1+ on my chainweb node, functioning so theres that! A friend has 4x KD Boxes on his node. Not sure what the upper limit would be.

2 Likes

My KD5 and two KD-boxes are hitting my ‘old (from a few years ago) hp envy i7 laptop’ ubuntu server
16GiB System memory
processor Intel(R) Core™ i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50

2 Likes