L3+ Overclocking

I will post some images from my best miner since I am limited on the number of images I can put in each post and also limited to the number of posts per day I will post my configuration and stats.

1 Like

here are the stats

1 Like

here is an overview of all my miners

2 Likes

The onnly thing I am still unsure about is how many HW errors to allow per minute the auto tuner allows 10 per minute I feel like that is too many.

So after much tuning yesterday all day I found the settings to manually adjust the auto tuner so I turned down the amount of allowable HW errors per minute and now I have all my miners dialed in and I let HiveOS do all the work. I am getting about 600 hashrate on each miner but they are running at different wattages ranging from 800-900 watts. The only reason I am not turning them up more is am still learning about how hot these machines can get and run long term increasing the wattage any more increases the temperature significantly.

Here is how they sit currently

This is how one of my miner looks after it has been auto tuned notice how the wattage and frequency will be different for each board

I finally grew a pair to try the manual chip frequency configuration tool I was still getting more HW errors than I liked and my Load Average was a bit high I’ll come back when I have some results.

this is what the chip tuner looks like the light grey color means the chip has a low amount of HW error the darker it gets the more errors it has you can set the tuner the lower the frequency on the chips going over a certain HW error threshold. So what i did was run the auto tuner first to get my miners dialed using the template for 600 hasrate at 800-900 watts i just changed the allowable HW errors per minute from 10 to 5 after that i let the miners rune for about an hour then I run the chip tuner and tune the chips giving all the errors. It is time consuming but all i have to do is click some buttons I dont have to keep track of lots of numbers and do a bunch of math I am loving this firmware!

1 Like

here is what it looks like when you have one chip making all the HW errors this chip had 41 errors while the rest had 0 when i took this SS

I think that’s really good. For me to get 600 hashrate using Bitmain firmware I have to overclock, which causes the L3+ to run at about 1054 watts and hot. You probably have quieter, slower RPM fans too, which would be nice for me since mine are in my apartment (not a garage or shed).

1 Like

I keep hitting “delete post” by accident instead of “edit”, but I posted this earlier. I noticed you have a lower fan speed. That would be nice since it would help to reduce the noise. If I want to lower my fan speed I have to lower the Frequency, thus giving me less hash rate, and that’s no fun at all :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

1 Like

decide to turn one up a notch and see how it handles

miner 001 turned up poolside

The reason all boards appear to have the same frequency is that instead of adjusting the entire board to correct HW errors I have just tuned the individual chips causing most of the HW errors.

1 Like

So after turning one up I realized i had to use another 200 watts only to get about another 50 hashrate so going up any higher than about 900 watts on the antminer L3+ just decreases your profits unless you have free energy. Here is what the miners look like at the optimal settings for wattage/hashrate

I am still tuning a few chips on some of the boards but I just about have them dialed in now so after 24 hours I will come back with all the data and settings for each miner.

1 Like

Removing HW errors absolutely improved my speeds poolside

miner speed poolside

just look at the difference in speeds from the miner side and poolside, my speeds were much lower poolside and have been increasing each time I tune the miner and lower the frequency of chips producing HW errors

1 Like

I was going to post my overnight results this morning but I woke up to more HW errors than I expected so I am going to see if I can tune a little more and ill be back with some data soon

1 Like

Just want to say this is an awesome thread, thanks for posting so many screenshots and documenting this – I’ve been meaning to fire up my L3+ to join the party :smiley:

its been much more fun having a place to share it instead of just doing it alone thanks for a place to hang!

1 Like

absolutely, this is exactly what VoskCoinTalk was created for and it’s so cool to see it actually being used like this :smiley:

So i have learned that if you are going to be turning down the frequency on chips you have to remember to increase to power to the board if you have to decrease several chips I am starting to think that the HW errors are directly related to insufficient power to the chip so if you want less errors you need more power but I just wish I knew more how the errors actually impacted you hashing speed I have seen that I get better speeds poolside with less errors and they are the ones paying me so I guess that is all that matters if they are getting my speed from the number of shares i turn in. I promise I am coming with more screenshots I am just waiting to get the right settings so i do not have to keep editing after I learn something better.