Mini Doge repairšŸ˜­

My Mini Doge recently suffered a short in its 6 pin connector port. Gold shell wants me to send the device back to China for a replacement. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

1 Like

Does yours look similar to this? Iā€™m awaiting parts to repair two of my miners - looks like on some of the models these power connectors are lower quality than on the others and will have to be replaced.

Iā€™ve seen lots of posts around talking about this issue and mainly addressing the PSU problem, but I know this is not the case here. The PSU is good, but these connectors are shittyā€¦

1 Like

Creator, are those soldered to the board or is it plug and go?

1 Like

They are soldered to the board. I can post more photos once Iā€™ll start repairing / replacing themā€¦

1 Like

Is it worth sending it back to China for a replacement or getting it into a repair shop in the US? They want $260 to ship it

1 Like

Plus they want you to ship it there. Is it under warranty?? I might be able to submit it for you cheaper through the company. Let me know if you want me to investigate and if itā€™s under warranty!!:v:t3:

1 Like

I was just about to say the same thing - as far as I know, the official warranty from GS is 180 days. Gets a bit tricky after that. Are you located here in United States? Fingers crossed that RC can maybe help you out with a better deal to get the unit repaired.

1 Like

Be interesting to see the condition of the soldered joints to the boards in order to ascertain whether poor soldering, cheap and nasty plugs, or even if a combination of both factors were to blame.

Wouldnā€™t mind seeing the condition of the pcb in the area where the sockets soldered to.

1 Like

Anyone know where i can order power jacks for GS box miners?
I have 2 that burnt up in the last 6 days. 1st one was on a evga pws, second on a gold shell pws. I think with my 1st one the plug and the jack got cracked from me plugging and unplugging so many times. The box would go down every 3-6 days. The second on the GS pws never went down unless the power went out so maybe 3 times since july/21. The 1st one i was able to clean it up with some contact cleaner, small file, and canned air. The second one Iā€™m thinking i need a new jack.

1 Like

Wow, thatā€™s scary!! Glad you caught it!!

1 Like

I ordered mine here:

Still waiting for them to arrive and will post more photos while Iā€™ll be repairing two of my boxes.

2 Likes

Thank you. Got some on order now.

1 Like

So, I finally was able to repair kd-box and mini-doge miners burnt power connectors. Hereā€™s what soldered joints looked like before I removed the old (burnt) connectors:

Points 1, 2, 3 and 4 did look damaged - hereā€™s couple more views from a different angle:

De-soldering damaged connector was probably the most difficult task, but then a little clean up and adding new connectors was pretty easy.

All good now and power wires as long as the 6-pin plug itself are running warm from being naturally exposed to the exhaust hot air from the miner, but at least not feel as hot as they used to be prior to the repair.

2 Likes

If your still able to access the solder joints itā€™s well worth re-soldering the two remaining joints because the existing ones may have become ā€œdryā€ and broke down by the heat and current flow. The two remaining look like they could also break down at some point. There doesnā€™t look like thereā€™s a lot of solder around the pins and the pins look quite thick which can also cause dry joints to form.

MG - this is exactly what I did. I removed the burnt / damaged connector altogether, cleaned all the joints and then installed a brand new 6-pin connector with plenty of fresh solder. May not look pretty, but certainly created a better connection - more solid and generating less heat.

1 Like

Another update / additional information on this repair.
Besides replacing male power connector (re-soldering it), Iā€™ve also replaced power cables on the PSU (Iā€™m using BITMAIN APW7-12-1800 for my box miners). Below you can see the old cables vs. new ones:

Closer look at the old, burnt ones:

New replacement cables also have much better power connectors:

3 Likes

Nice work!!

1 Like

Thanks for the link just bought mine.

1 Like

Just had the same thing with my new Mini Doge. The damage wasnā€™t that bad, and I replaced the power cord and cleaned the connector post. Itā€™s been running but, I know I should replace the connector.

1 Like

Do you have a link for these heavier cables? I found many but theyā€™re all 18AWG and arenā€™t better than the stock.