Mining - bandwidth requirements

What would be a good rule of thumb to calculate internet bandwidth requirements, are there minimum upstream and downstream speeds? Also, does the fact that I may go solo with a service that provides a node entry point as opposed to a pool change these requirements. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thnx

I’d say if your internet speeds are below 20mbps down and 3mbps up then you’re running the risk of losing connection or not maintaining a well established connection. At today’s standard you should be running at those speeds or higher based on your subscription, unless you live in a very rural area and can only get DSL. There’s a bunch of factors that are involved but I won’t go into detail.

Here’s my advice: assuming that you’re using your internet for multiple devices in the house often, 50mbps download and 5mbps upload MINIMUM. Broadband or fiber only

2 Likes

What are the file sizes and frequency of transmissions?

1 Like

From bitmain specific to the L3+

d) Network: 1 Mbps can support up to 200 miners, and a miner uses an estimated 500 MB of internet connection per month. Please make sure there is enough internet data to support the miners if you intended to purchase in large quantities. Always use static IP so that in case of errors, we can identify the cause easily.

1 Like

Sure, if your miner(s) is the only thing utilizing the Internet connection. However most minors are set in a residential environment where the Internet is being distributed among many devices in the home. And if there’s a gamer or streamer in the house then more bandwidth is needed.If the fastest speed an ISP can provide you is a max of 25mbps downstream then their infrastructure is already questionable and you should look at other options. Also most ISP will only provide a static IP if you are signed up for business class, which has it’s pros & cons. I have a dynamic IP address and I have no issues

2 Likes

Thanks for all of the responses, this is helpful. I was looking into starlink which boasts an average of 79Mbit downstream and 13Mbit upstream. I’m looking into a static ip for this setup, don’t know if it’s available. Great if it is I guess, hopefully the power consumption of their uplink hardware isn’t too gruesome, my idea is to have this operate in a solar-powered trailer that could be relocated along the starlink satellite network.

Why a static ip?

1 Like

u could mine on a 56k modem if u needed lol … mining dont use much at all

MORE DETAILED

1 Like

That’s what o was thinking

1 Like

Yeah not much needed bandwidth wise, I’m a gamer, many [3] family members on wifi streaming, videos and such, I mine also 24/7, couple L3+s and my gpu rig all on wifi bridged router.
I have 100mbs up/dn no issues with bandwidth at all. Everything just humms along.

2 Likes

I believe the static ip is a requirement for ckpool when you solo mine, but that’s just what I’ve read so far.