Goldshell X5 MIner

I think my issue was resolved after adding extra pool from nicehash. I also put into igloo cooler with ducts for intake and exhaust. Works quieter. The power block is very noisy as well and we cannot hide it of course. I can see how you solved the power noise issue…

I see I have always several pools configured in the miner as backup in case things go wrong - like we have seen pools moving from .com at the time it saved my CKB profit by switching to different pool.
In general if things are not working I always start with the pool change and usually it resolves the issue.
I had problem with HNS BOX recently it went to red light and I could not access it but switch-off switch-on resolved the problem - let’s see for how long :slight_smile:

Yes the power supply noise is very annoying out of the box. With one big fan from the side it works great and quiet but as you know I am running it on Low Power mode and PSU temperature with such solution is quote low. Not sure how it would be running on full power. You can also try to use different more quiet PSU with appropriate power rating. I think I have to find a cooler box for S17 :slight_smile:

1 Like

What is a normal (safe) temperature for X5’s chips?

I don’t know cause I was not able to find proper specification for X5. Bitmain has nice specs and you can usually find PCB and chip temperature limits but I was not able to find one for X5. On the other hand considering that all small GS boxes are running around 85 C I would consider that X5 should handle such as well. My modified X5 runs around 75 C difficult to judge impact on life but I am willing to take the risk since I have no other option for the moment. With new location I will try to run it cool and I am also thinking about immersion cooling since I am planning to run several L7s and maybe some S19s as well let’s see it’s all about the money :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sounds like a great plan! Keep posting!

1 Like

Did you buy with solockpool.us. Their prices are great; too good to be true?

Hey @T7LY,

Appreciate you sharing this with us. I just picked up an X5 today. Based on what you’ve shared, I’ve considered swapping the stock fans for Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWM fans. But, Goldshell states this comes with 4500RPM fans. Considering what you’ve shared here, and what you’ve found - is it even worth it to change to Noctua fans, or just stick with the stock fans? I’m worried that running Noctua fans at full 3000RPM won’t be enough to cool it on 850MH/s Power Mode. Or, should I go nuts and put some Delta AFB1212GHE-CF00’s on there?

Also, can anyone comment on the X5’s profitability? It is not listed on asicminervalue, but it is on minerstat. Is this actually pulling $8 to $10/day?

The profitability will depend on your electric rate, also what pool you use will change it slightly. Make sure you are calculating your returns with your own electric rate.

1 Like

https://www.litecoinpool.org/calc

They have a pretty good calculator for figuring out LTC miners profitability.

Honestly I don’t know cause I was not trying to run on full power mode with replaced fan.
I kept 2000 RPM since they are more quiet than 3000 RPM ones and it works for me on LP mode without issues. I might try to run it on full power to see next weekend but I would need to swap to 3000 RPM Noctua.

It depends what you are looking for cause my motivation to do it was to make things more quiet and knowing I will run it on LP mode I kind of knew Noctua would be enough.
What would be your motivation to change it cause when you are considering Delta I think they are quite loud. BTW I am not sure if Delta you shared is PWM fan.

What is related to original fan -I think it is quite good point cause I bought mine refurbished from DX Pool Shop and I am quite sure it was running at around 6000 RPM and I think fan might be different vs original/new X5 so let me know if you got it from other source and what is your RPM by default. It is possible that original new X5 was with 4500 RPM fan.

X5 board need RPM signal to start miner properly and I know with over 5000 RPM signal miner would start fine. I should receive some RPM generators this week so I will try if they work and probably I can try to find minimum RPM at which will X5 start.

What is related to profitability guys already commented - it is always best to do calculation based on your hash-rate and on the pool where you will run it. I am also using litecoinpool.

I got my first one from bt-miner and my second one from dxpool shop.

This is the past week payout for 2 X5’s. That’s .02 or .03 LTC every 6 hours.

2 Likes

I have a Brand new X5 for 4 months and have non stop issues. 2 hashboards have stop working failed to start. I bought it from global.dxpool and contact them with no response and contact goldshell. They want me to pay to fix it even though it under warranty. They made me pull it apart and try different things with the same results.

1 Like

Are you sure it was brand new when purchased? I’m just asking because Dxpool has only been selling used X5’s for some time now. X5’s have been out of production for some time now.

2 Likes

Anyways, those that have purchased X5’s, I’m just curious, how long have you been running yours and if you have had any issues?

Thanks

my x5 is running over 8 days on low power mode and hashing a little more than in the specs. no issues so far.

Who did you purchase your X5 from?

I don’t think I have any problems so far. Bought from dxpool. PSU noise is annoying …

I’m thinking of purchasing one as well. Can I use a different PSU and use 120v if I’m using on low power mode?

Low power would only need 660w so a 750w PSU should be able to do the trick. Maybe 850w if I need to follow the 80 percent rule (although I thought that was based on amps of the circuit, not the watts of the PSU).