Goldshell X5 MIner

indeed the 80% rule on watts of the PSU is important.

check the sticker on the PSU that came with my x5. According to the data it is multi voltage ready and can run also on 120V input. But I did not check if there is any switch you may need to turn for different input or not because I did not want to pull it out of the rack. Of course it will logically pull higher amps on lower voltage.

I ran it both on 120v and 240v, no need to change anything.noise is the only issue. I do not know why web site says 220 only. 120v and 240v perfectly fine.

@Alexcool , I just noticed that my hardware error rate is significant higher than yours on a roughly similar online time.
Do you, or does anyone else here know why this could be?

Power mode. Higher power, lower errors.

Bought 2 X5’s from global.dxpool, came from China to Australia within 2 weeks. Been running them both 12 hours a day on solar and battery storage making $12 a day running both on 850/mh. My electric rate is 32c/kWh and the gov wants to tax 50% which is why I’m running it for only 12 hours on $0.00 electricity. Very happy with it all and they are my first 2 miners, nice start to my mining!

3 Likes

OK, thank you.
Then I have to live with it. With my electric rate it does not make profit in high power mode. I hope it does not burn the miner when runing it long term in low power mode.
Do you think a low ambient temperature is also a factor?

I do not think outside temperature is an error factor if the air flow is fine, I am pretty sure the higher error percentage is totally fine on a lower power mode and I think it is rather safe that way, than on hashrate mode.

1 Like

Can someone explain what both the temperatures mean.

You’re going to need at least a 1500 watt power supply! I just got my Goldshell X5 and it surges slightly and goes up and down in fan speed through the hashing process. At full power its 6 amps, 240 v, and 1450 watts. Low power is 2-3 amps, 240 v, and 660 watts. It’s start-up factory settings is 4 amps, 240 v, 900 watts in balanced mode. But this is why I would suggest staying with the OEM power supply at 1500+ watts, if you select Hashing mode (full power) in settings, your power supply needs the 1500+ watts.

The power settings are done through the Goldshell find my miner website. So to answer your question, I would recommend to only use the power supply intended for the X5, which is to run at a constant 1450 watts down to 660 watts, and at 240 volts.

1 Like

The default mode is the balanced mode, when you reset it to the factory settings, it starts on the balanced mode and power outage should not change the mode you selected.

Thanks AlexCool, I edited my post to correct the balanced mode.

Hey guys! Small update from me. I purchased my factory refurbished X5 from BT-Miners. It came shockingly fast (from Shenzen to the eastern US in under 72h)! Unfortunately, it arrived with a DOA PSU (the original factory Goldshell PSU from the looks of it).

The condition of the PSU was also no surprise that it was DOA:

Miner was in pretty decent condition considering how old this thing is and how long they’ve been out of production. I took some time to thoroughly clean it with some rubbing alcohol.

I am waiting on an electrician to come out to upgrade the power panel in my house (I’m planning on adding an S19 Pro shortly thereafter) so right now I only have it running on balanced mode.

@T7LY I know someone else mentioned it in this thread, but it is possible to OC this to around 1TH/s if you have a good PSU and airflow. I’ll be OC’ing mine once I have a new panel installed sometime in mid January. To OC the X5, simply click rapidly (I think five times?) on the “Miner” heading:
photoshop_2021-12-28_17-40-52

Not very intuitive, but it gets you where you need to be. Then, you can input custom values. The video mentioned earlier, he uses:
1500MHz 1.25V 5600RPM 5600RPM

…and he gets just over 1TH/s.

Super excited to start utilizing this little miner!

1 Like

Also, does anyone know what a good temperature range for this is? What is considered “too” hot? I’m going to experiment with aftermarket, higher RPM, higher quality fans that might be quieter so I can see if I can get this super loud thing to chill out. Literally. :sweat_smile:

Ordered 2 X5’s from Dxpool. Each one took slightly less than 2 weeks to be delivered. They came with new Power supply and fans. They are both up and running just fine.

FYI, Dxpool has best price on the X5’s and they ship relatively quickly…

5 Likes

Mine came from dxpool with the original psu in mint condition, I would really say like new with the blue factory film on. I do not think they stooped producing them very long time ago. I tried clicking few times to overclock, couldn’t get the editable menu you mention and didn’t repeat that. Happy with hashing mode and not going to overclock.

1 Like

Thanks for the update - Yes you need to click on Miner 10 times to get hidden menu.
1500 MHz sound’s bit too much for me but I don’t know what is default setting on high power since I run it on low power only and it is set to 850 MHz. You can set voltage and RPM but from what I seen changing RPM was not doing much to fan speeds and frequency has an impact somehow but I don’t know what is safe range. I had different problem since with my electricity cost is hight I am running on low power only since efficiency is much better than on High Power mode.
My Setting is as follows please ignore RPM since i was just testing it and left it like this since I think RPM is not much influenced by this setting.

I agree with SpragClutch that DX pool shop is good place to get one since they are nicely refurbished with new PSU and they usually ship within 7 days + it will take another 3-7 days to get it.
You just need to buy from correct DX Pool Shop - this should be the correct one but please doble check Products – DxPool Shop

1 Like

don’t buy from bt-miners. the company is NOT based in USA yet dares to collect sales tax from americans and even charges hefty premiums just because they are accepting credit cards. Also, I’ve been seeing some members receiving used miners that were claimed to be new…

I just got mine and set it up im only getting .09 per hour, am i doing something wrong? i have it low power mode and my hash rate is showing 958mh/s using dxpool

On low power mode you should be hashing around 600 MH/s (average) using 660 watts of power with the X5. Using Dxpools estimated income, 600 MH/s = 0.600 GH/s. You should get the following per day,

1 Like

DX pool pay in LTC and Doge so please check if you are having rest paid in Doge.
I assume 0.09 as you wrote is not per hour cause this would be great :slight_smile:
As SpragClutch wrote on LP mode you should be in range 0.6 GH/s