Mini Doge Pro power cable funny colors

I just wanted to throw this out there. I won a Mini Doge Pro from Coin Mining Central and it’s my first ASIC miner. I have noticed the cable going into the miner is turning colors. It went from white to a brownish color. My question is this normal wear, abnormal wear, or just run? Please excuse my lack of knowledge as I’m just jumping into mining with ASICs.

Thank you for any and all input,

Doug

1 Like

It’s melting/burning up. Is that the stock power supply ( a big black brick )? If so, replace it with a computer power supply asap.

Plenty of threads on here about this problem. Post back if you can’t find them, we can point them out.

GL

4 Likes

Okay I have an 850 Gold ATX Power Supply from a gaming rig inno longer use. I was also recommended a sever power supply after posting a few other places and there is a combo deal online I was looking at last night. Would I be better off with one of those or an computer power supply? Thank you for the information.

Doug

Its not the factory brick, I even bought the Goldshell 4 Box PSU and it still burns the connector…

I just unsoldered and resoldered new female connectors on the board and changed the male PSU connector ends with new pins for the second time. I’m gonna try flashing the FW to the control board via SD card and software tool that Goldshell emailed me.

The LB Box I have runs flawlessly on Hashrate mode No burning, connected via same 4 Box PSU.

Its just this Doge Box, I messaged Vosk on Youtube and he replied most of the time for him its been a faulty control board.

After really looking at it I’m thinking maybe inside the connector pins may be a little loose causing resistance - heat causing the gradual burn. It took like 2 months for the connector to burn up again.

First burn was in Hashrate mode - would Also turn off every few days with a overheat code.

Second burn was in Balanced mode.

I havent powered it back on yet due to time constraints, I have one more male connector to replace on the Box PSU.

I even replaced the male ends on the factory brick, (for backup) man those are a PITA to get the end off to see what pins went to each slot.

All wire ends were crimped with new pins proper tool and slotted in new connector, pins firmly locked in and don’t back out (when you connect the two ends)

1st I’m going to burn FW image to control board via SD card.

2nd I’m going to add some dielectric grease to the end of the male connection to ensure no loose pins connections.

I also have a LB1, with burnt connections. ( I replaced both ends on this aswell) It has no control board it uses your computer as the control board. Which has is thinking its loose pins causing the resistance and burnup problem.

Stay tuned hopefully I don’t have a 3rd burn.

2 Likes

This is the email I got from GS a little while back October 2022 I’m posting this as it may save others from buying a new control board.

Please try to flash the miner by microSD card.
There are 5 files attached to this email.
Rufus and IBSMK are the software used to burn the firmware into the SD card. Rufus is available for Mac.
And the file named [Please unzip this file…] is the firmware that needs to be burnt.
The other 2 are some tutorials.
Here are 3 videos can help you if you don’t know how to do.

1. IBSMK tutorial
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Nkvy049YLezE-LtTLHbHsw_JvwMjBQP-/view?usp=sharing
  2. Rufus tutorial
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HE_HnBX6x2k4Em2DHKwxumjBS_ycLDAH/view?usp=sharing
  3. Flash tutorial
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rzgctkZXetYP_7YVfjtoS_h78KQOrmTd/view?usp=sharing

Software to burn SD:

IBSMK
https://goldshellhelp.zendesk.com/attachments/token/w8WD39gcTbUJFuVbsL8FsF8RR/?name=IBSMK_Setup_1.8.5.rar

Rufus
https://goldshellhelp.zendesk.com/attachments/token/2EMwJfIxOlMJPUYKEFDaT15vL/?name=rufus-3.20__1_.exe

Tutorial Docs-

https://goldshellhelp.zendesk.com/attachments/token/NgBTidYJtW3VamWlVlMsBkvzI/?name=IBSMK_Flash_Tutorial.docx

https://goldshellhelp.zendesk.com/attachments/token/KUotMKwiWVD5Dfq9sIC9P9sMe/?name=Rufus_Flash_Tutorial.docx

Control board file:

https://goldshellhelp.zendesk.com/attachments/token/G6yZpDwSJcmYEkQlHmokdLByq/?name=Please+unzip+this+file-Goldshell-MiniDOGE_MCB_V5_4-2.2.4.tgz

3 Likes

Same problem…

Goldshell boxes are poorly made… I do not recomend purchase of them… I also change power suply for computer supply ,

4 Likes

This is just a resource on the topic. I advise paying close attention to the output of your power supply, to avoid shorts and overheating.

This article , https://www.msi.com/blog/5-things-to-pay-attention-to-when-choosing-a-power-supply , teaches and spells it out super clearly.

Your Box has a set Amperage and Wattage input. Which can be matched exactly to ‘some’ of the cables coming out of a Power Supply. Your PSU has an Output/Wattage/Amperage sticker on it. The article explains super clear.

It’s worth a read on the overall topic.

2 Likes

Jesus… Well then I’m totally effd because I’m definitely not that electrically inclined. I can plug stuff in and walk away. Solder isn’t even close to my wheelhouse. I guess I’m going to have to go with the flashing option and pray the board isn’t burning the plugs out. Plugs in the back are now black so color change won’t be seen till melted.

Thank you for all the help,

Doug

2 Likes

please watch this and stop using the mini doge miner until you’ve repaired it

3 Likes

If the ends are burnt you are going to want to change them, otherwise you risk a fire.

These pins are pretty easy to swap out

2 Likes

I only see the burnt ends on the power cord. I will investigate the innards of the machine tomorrow and see if the receptacle is fouled at all. I’d feel comfortable changing a board like @VoskCoin showed. I know my limits and I promise you soldering definitely isn’t in my tool belt.

Doug

1 Like

I have a KD Box Pro that has the power supply with the discolored connector. The control board port is not discolored. Long story short, I reflashed it and using different power supply. It has the same issue as before, which is will not stay connected to a pool, any pool. I think if I threw in in the swimming pool, it would definitely connect, permanently.

I don’t think it’s worth $110 to replace the control board not even knowing if that is the problem. If the board was like $30, maybe. Probably just sell it as is on ebay. Even at my electric of .07, it loses money. The KA3s are crushing the profitability, as expected.

2 Likes

I’m sorry to hear that and not at your expense but the swimming pool comment did give me a chuckle. Yea if that’s the price of a control board you can almost buy a brand new one and start off with a warranty again. It’s been running for maybe a week. I am going to power it down and check the power connector in the Box and see how she looks. Don’t understand how the supplied power supply would fuck up… Wouldn’t testing be one of the things you’d do in the development phase…

Doug

1 Like

I would confirm what @nemanja wrote. Even if they would sell any profitable miners in the future, I will not buy any.
In total I own 10 GS miner and ran through some trouble with 3 different of them. Also one of the “4 devices” PSU killed it self. Soon some fans will die I guess by the noise they make. The quality is realy poor.
guarantee is worthless too as long as you have to pay for shipping.

do not proceed running your devices when the plugs change color!

EDIT: today the WIFI of one HNS box has decided to kick the bucket. Resuscitation unsuccessful. That makes in my case 4 out of 10 faulty. Almost every second Goldshell device is s#!t.

4 Likes

Yeah if cables start turning colors you have an issue lol

2 Likes

Your 850 watt gaming psu should work just fine for one or even 2 of those.

2 Likes

Have you contacted them for replacement parts? Goldshell has been good to me, but they also know I make YouTube videos… I am always happy to go to bat for anyone who subscribes to VoskCoin as well.
Here’s the recent goldshell box miner repair video and GS contact info

3 Likes

Unfortunately yes I did contact them a week/week and a half ago and my warranty expired on 2/5/2023. They said I could buy a new PSU from them. I didnt do that since it seems a common problem and stuck with my computer PSU. Looking to line up a server PSU so I can run a few things off one source.

Thank you,

Doug

2 Likes

Yes I contacted them in the beginning.
But their waranty policy is (or at least was that time) that I have to send defect miner back on my own cost and on my own risk. Only the one way sending by DHL would have cost me 125$.- And if I did and they send it repaired but with wrong documents back, then I pay a second time the custom fee for same device.
The def. PSU was out of warranty, of course, and had clearly poped up components and melted tracks on the circuit board. - not repairable

So my experiance is that it is not worth spending time with them for devices, that do not make profit anyway anymore.

1 Like

Welp miner burnt up my ATX power supply also. Guess it’s the miner not the pwr supply. Warranty is no longer valid so how do I get cracking on fixing this thing?

Thanks

Doug